Monday, June 2, 2008

Recommend a good, free HTML Editor?

This isn't related to my blogging. I use Zoundry Raven for blogging and am very happy with it. I am asking about HTML editors for a regular web site that I am working on.


I used Arachnophilia for a long time as my HTML editor. It's a robust editor, but it really is that, an editor. It's starting to feel a bit long in the tooth for me. I've decided to move on to a more CSS oriented WYSIWYG style editor. I used Dreamweaver many years ago but don't feel like dropping that kind of money on an HTML editor.


Right at the moment, I am using Amaya. While Amaya is free and supports CSS (to a degree) it has some very annoying issues. In general, like most open source, it feels somewhat incomplete. It also has a tendency to lose my background, icons, etc every now and then. Most times, resaving the file fixes it but sometimes I have to exit and come back. The worst thing though, is that it doesn't support SSI so my pages all look funky. Still, it's completely free and that's a bonus.


I loaded up Trellian Webpage and it looks promising. I played with it for a few minutes but haven't actually started using it. Two others I've downloaded but not played with yet are Aptana Studio and Evrsoft 1st Page 2000. The Aptana Studio looks good because it also does Ruby, PHP and Adobe Air via plugins.


Before I invest anymore time on this, I figured I would put the question out to you. What tool are you using for HTML development and/or can you recommend a good tool for me to try? It needs to support CSS and I would prefer some kind of support for SSI. Do any of the ones I already have fit the bill? Any better suggestions?


Thanks in advance,


LewisC




Del.icio.us : , , ,